Spark, Maindy Road
Published on: 27.03.2023
Augmented Reality (AR) Storytelling Lab: Media Cymru x StoryFutures Collaboration
About the Event
Date: Tuesday, 23 and Wednesday, 24 May
Location: Tramshed Tech, Clare Road, Cardiff, CF11 6QP
In the past five years there has been rapid development in Augmented Reality (AR) which has increased its potential application not just across gaming platforms and within entertainment, but also in the museum and heritage sector, in education, health and wellbeing and research sectors.
StoryFutures: The National Centre for Immersive Storytelling has partnered with Media Cymru to deliver a two-day intensive hands-on AR Storytelling Lab using the learnings from the StoryFutures successful UK national immersive tour StoryTrails, and exploring the broad range of applications for AR as it starts to mature.
This AR Storytelling Lab offers creative practitioners from the film, TV, theatre and games industries and those who have little to no experience in creating AR projects, the chance to focus on how AR can bring stories to life. Successful applicants will develop an introductory range of creative and technical skills required to get their story from page to an AR experience and skills they can take away and use in future practice.
The lab participants will hear from immersive industry experts, who specialise in AR content, and will get the opportunity to:
- Learn about the immersive industry landscape and where AR technology fits in
- Experience and discuss a range of AR content
- Explore the many applications of AR (entertainment, education, health, etc.)
- Capture and create stories in AR with free-to-use AR software such as Scaniverse
- Learn how to publish their stories using web 3.0
- Examine how to commercialise AR experiences?
This lab is for creative practitioners based in Cardiff and the surrounding region and will be taking place at Tramshed Tech, Cardiff on Tuesday 23 and Wednesday 24 May 2023.
If you’d like to attend, you will need to complete an application form.
Applications close Thursday 27 April at midnight and successful applications will be informed on Friday 5 May.
Participant numbers are limited to 12 and places will be allocated in accordance with our selection criteria. This Lab is free to attend and we receive a high volume of applications, therefore there is no guarantee on receiving a place and we will not be able to provide application feedback.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To apply for this lab you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be based in Cardiff or the surrounding regions.
- Applicants may not have specific creative experience working on AR projects, but should be able to outline why attending is of interest to their current practice.
- Age: Participants must be 18+
- UK Status: Applicants must be UK nationals or permanent UK residents, living and working in the UK.
- Diversity: StoryFutures operates with a pledge to ensure our labs are as accessible as possible to a diverse range of applicants.
- Track Record: Applicants must have a substantial body of work and track record in a relevant creative field, including number of screen, production, performance (or equivalent) credits.
- Ability to benefit: Applicants must explain why this opportunity would be of benefit to them and their career path and aspirations, and provide an opportunity they may not otherwise have access to.
- Reporting: All participants must agree to funder reporting requirements, including provision of relevant business and employment information.
We are committed to making this initiative as accessible as possible. If you have a disability, or are yourself a carer, you may be entitled to apply for a bursary to cover additional expenses related to these needs that you may incur as a direct result of applying for, or taking part in the programme (such as special assistance arrangements).
If you think this may apply to you, please indicate this in your application form, and a representative from the team will get in touch to discuss requirements if your application is successful. For any questions or assistance before the point of applying, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: 27 April 2023
More information on StoryTrails
StoryTrails is a unique immersive storytelling experience, inviting people to explore their towns and cities through the magic of augmented and virtual reality (AR and VR).
Led by StoryFutures: The National Centre for Immersive Storytelling (run by the National Film and Television School and Royal Holloway, University of London), in partnership with the British Film Institute (BFI), broadcaster and film-maker, David Olusoga, Uplands Television, and leading immersive specialists ISO Design, Nexus Studios and Niantic, It was also brought to life by The Reading Agency’s national network of libraries and by event-making specialists ProduceUK.
StoryTrails was nominated for the SXSW 2023 Innovation Awards for Best Immersive and is currently shortlisted for the Museums + Heritage Show award for Best Use Of Digital, UK.